Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Observation post #1 - St Ignatius

My first day of observations at St. Ignatius was a good day. I was there for 3 hours. Pulling into the school it did feel a bit awkward to be back at Ignatius. But once I walked in and got going it felt like any other day there. I shadowed Mr. Dybicz, a Latin teacher at Ignatius who taught me. I shadowed 2 of his Latin III classes and a Latin I a class, the same class I took my senior year. In this class, it was full of juniors. Mr. Dybicz introduced me to the class and asked me to speak about my experience in his Latin III class. I was nervous to speak at first, but then once I got going it felt normal to be up there in front of the class. The class started with a prayer and then review of the notes from the previous day to refresh to go over new material for today. I liked how he brought the notes from yesterday back into the lesson to refresh and be ready to expand on what was learned yesterday. After notes were taken a worksheet that reflected the notes taken was passed out to be worked on. They worked on it in groups. I like that because it gives the students a chance to discuss what was learned and they can explain to anyone who does not understand. Mr. Dybicz when explaining the lesson said an interesting quote to the class "it is always best to practice stuff you see the most; nobody spends a  lot of time practicing fake field goals (fake field goals are not run very often)."  I really like how he made that sports reference, relating something interesting to the class. It was a great start to learning more about teaching. I am very happy I chose to shadow Mr. Dybicz, I have a lot of respect for him and the type of teacher he is. I am excited to do the last 7 hours of my field observations with Mr. Dybicz at St. Ignatius.

No comments:

Post a Comment