Monday, November 28, 2016

Observation post #2 - St. Ignatius

The second day that I visited at St. Ignatius was very positive. I enjoyed being there as much as I did the first time. I was there for three hours. Throughout that time, I sat in on 2 Latin III classes, all of juniors. And the third class was a freshman Latin I class. The Latin III classes that I sat in on started off by taking a quiz. The quizzes that are taken in that class are almost daily. Mr. Dybicz believes "having a quiz almost every day that causes you to study for a lit bit every night is more effective than learning new material and being tested on it 3-4 weeks later causing a student to cram it all in and forget what was learned, that I could not agree more with. After the quiz was over, the class did in class group translations. It is all done in group work. The same way it was when I was in that class. He believes that when group work is done correctly, everyone working together it can be very effective. I thought it was interesting seeing him walk around the class making sure everyone is on topic, working hard, and answering questions for students. The Latin I class that I sat in on took a test that day. It was interesting to see him walk around the classroom and observe the students taking their exams. Answering questions and making sure everyone is practicing academic integrity. The students were able to use a note card filled out with information on. He believes that making that note card is a good way to study. Toward the end of the day, I was there for a free period. During that time I was able to talk to Mr. Dybicz one on one. We had a very good talk about school, teaching, and why it is important to be a teacher. He told me believes that teachers are very strong role models in the lives of young men and women. That is something that I completely agree with. You are setting an example on a daily basis of how to conduct yourself as a professional when teaching. The students learn from you, and they observe how you act all the time. The second day (3 hours) was defiantly a good experience to have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment