Monday, November 28, 2016

Observation post #3 - St. Ignatius

My third day at St. Ignatius was a good experience. Every time I am at Ignatius it is a good time. Today I sat in on a Latin III class and a Latin I class. The Latin III class took a practice midterm exam. The practice midterm was the same format and material (however different questions) as the actually exam itself. Mr. Dybicz thought that it was a good idea to start reviewing for that early, giving the students 3 weeks to prepare for the exam. To give them a good idea of what to expect on the final. After that was completed, there was more group work being done. I asked Mr. Dybicz, "how much is expected to get done each class?" He answered, "it really does not matter how much is done at the end of each class period, all students work at different paces and to rush them to get a certain amount of work done in a 40 minute period does nothing, at the end of the semester I will review all work turned in." I really agree with that idea. I was always a slow worker and did horrible work when I was rushed to get something in. I enjoyed seeing him walk around and observe the groups working. Seeing where students are in the assignment and encouraging them to ask questions. In my time at Ignatius, I always liked how the students were able to treat the teachers like friends. Being able to talk about sports, life, and make jokes with them. I am glad that has not changed since I have been gone. The freshman Latin I class learned a new lesson in a power point. After the power point was over, they had "life lesson talk." Talking about the effects of underage drinking in teens lives. I thought that was really cool. I thought it was important to talk to freshman about that. Freshman because they are still so young and it is important to get through to them and explain why things like that are important and the dangerous of underage drinking. To take time out of class to have a discussion like that I thought was really special. To have life discussions and talk about why things like that matter. It is all so important when forming what Ignatius calls "Men for Others". Most schools do not have discussions like that in the middle of class. It really made me realize how honored I am to be apart of that. How special that school is. This made me realize that if I were to go into teaching that is the type of teacher I would like to be. A teacher and mentor to young men and women. It is so much more than what you do in the class room. What you learn in school is so important, no doubt about that. But, what matters most, what Ignatius stresses and what I believe most, is the type of men you are outside of the classroom. Taking what you learn in school and applying it to your life. The lessons learned in the classroom, the athletic field, and most important religiously there. That is what being a "Man for Others" treating people with respect and knowing how to act is all about. This day at Ignatius really taught me that. It is cool stuff like that Ignatius does. Seeing my dad coach young men at Ignatius for nine years of his life. His former players stilling calling to talk about life and asking for advice is what it is all about. Graduating from Ignatius and being in contact with many former teachers is special. Now, being able to observe it from a teachers stand point was awesome. Such a great experience today.

No comments:

Post a Comment